Middle Level Teaching and Learning
The Bachelor of Science in Education (B.S. Ed.) degree in
What will I study?
All candidates seeking a Bachelor of Science in Education-Middle Level must complete general education requirements, which fulfill both university and state licensure requirements. Further, all candidates complete professional education core courses that address aspects of
Customize your degree!
You will select:
One major content/endorsement area: English, Mathematics, Science, or Social Sciences
One minor content/endorsement area: English, Mathematics, Science, Social Sciences, Art Education, Bilingual/ESL, Foreign Language, Health Education, Learning Behavior Specialist-1 or Physical Education
Course work includes:
- Assessment and Technology
- Content Area Literacy Instruction
- Development of the Middle School Child
- English Language Learners Methods
- Middle School Philosophy and Organization
Hands-on Experience and Professional Development
- You will have multiple clinical experiences in diverse classrooms prior to student teaching
- The college’s Educate Local, Educate U.S.
,and Educate Global programsprovide selected students with a week-long, all-expenses-paid classroom experiences in unique settings.
- Students have the opportunity to pursue ESL/Bilingual endorsements that can broaden their employment options.
- You might join the T.E.A.C.H. House Living Learning Community or College of Education student organizations like the NIU Educators’
What can I do with this degree?
Candidates who complete the program requirements are recommended for Illinois Educator Licensure for teaching in two content endorsement areas in middle grades, 5-8.
Middle School Teacher Occupational Outlook
Employment for Graduates
- NIU’s annual Educators’ Job Fair brings school districts from around the country to interview graduating students for professional teaching positions. Some graduates are hired by the districts in which they completed student teaching.
- The college’s extensive selection of graduate degree programs and certificates provides preparation for fields that include counseling, administration, and curriculum specialist.
What's the next step?
Middle Level Teaching and Learning Program Advisor
- C and I Home
- Academic Programs
- Current Student Resources
- Literacy Clinic
- Contact Us
Department of Curriculum and Instruction
Gabel Hall 147