Rankings and Recognition
NIU's College of Education continues the institution's 100-year history of preparing professional educators for the region and nation. There are over 53,000 College of Education alumni, and over 67 percent live in Illinois. One of every five superintendents in Illinois is an NIU graduate, one out of every 12 Principals in Illinois is an NIU graduate and one out of every 12 Teachers in Illinois is an NIU graduate.
College of Education Earns National Rankings
U.S. News and World Report
- Best Online Graduate Education Programs: NIU’s College of Education ranks #5 nationally
College of Education Earns Academic Prestige
- Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP): Since 1954, the College of Education has been continuously accredited by CAEP (formerly NCATE), a mark of distinction for meeting national professional standards
- Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP): Since 1989, the College of Education counseling programs have been accredited by CACREP
- Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training (CAATE):
Since 1997, the College of Education Athletic Training program has been accredited by CAATE.
- Association for Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired (AER): Since 1984, the College of Education Vision programs have been accredited by AER.
School District Partnerships
- NIU has five Professional Development School partnerships: Cambridge Lakes Charter School, DeKalb CUSD 428, Huntley Community School District 158, Kaneland CUSD 302, Charles CUSD 303 and Sycamore CUSD 427. The College of Education works with an additional 25 collaborating districts, over 150 individual schools, to prepare the next generation of superior teachers.