Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology
The Bachelor of Science degree in Kinesiology is a broad-based degree that prepares individuals to work in a variety of health, wellness and sport performance settings. The required curriculum can also prepare students for graduate school in exercise physiology, physical therapy, sport and exercise psychology, and sport management. Through coursework students will be better equipped to use exercise as a form of medicine to improve the quality of life for participants.
What will I study?
Students will study scientific principles that regulate behavior change and performance (e.g., physiology, biomechanics, psychology, measurement, gerontology, nutrition) as well as engage in a variety of clinical experiences.
- Wellness Concentration – focuses on understanding the principles related to increased health and wellness
- Performance Concentration – focuses on understanding the principles related to increased human performance
- Sport Management Concentration – focuses on understanding the principles related to sport and fitness management
- Coaching – prepares students who have an interest in coaching
- Interdisciplinary – customized minor that allows students to develop a specific cognate to study
What are some interesting classes I might take?
- Principles and Techniques of Resistance Training
- Applied Physiology of Exercise
- Supervised Clinical Experience in Exercise Gerontology
- Principles of Exercise for Acute and Chronic Conditions
- Sport Facility and Event Management
What hands-on learning opportunities are available?
Students select internship sites (with faculty guidance) that align with their future career goals. Common sites include cardiac rehabilitation centers, fitness centers, sport performance centers, sport teams and organizations, and corporations.
What can I do with this degree?
- Corporate wellness manager
- Fitness instructor
- Intramural sports director
- Medical sales
- Personal trainer
- Strength and conditioning coach
- Weight training instructor
- Exercise Physiologist Occupational Outlook (similar)
What's the next step?
Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education
Anderson Hall 221
DeKalb, IL 60115
phone: (815) 753-1407
fax: (815) 753-1413