Z Nicolazzo, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Higher Education and Student Affairs
Z Nicolazzo, Ph.D., has been at NIU since summer 2015. Ze teaches courses on college student development, postsecondary access, and diversity, equity and culture. Nicolazzo's research centers on trans* collegians, with a particular emphasis on trans* student resilience and kinship-building. Nicolazzo has published in a variety of scholarly and practitioner-focused publications, including the Journal of LGBT Youth, Journal of Diversity in Higher Education, About Campus, Journal of Critical Scholarship on Higher Education and Student Affairs and TSQ: Transgender Studies Quarterly.
Nicolazzo's research focuses on mapping gender across collegiate contexts. Hir specific areas of interest include:
- Gender in higher education
- Experiences of trans* collegians
- College student activism
- Student experiences of the intersections of race, disability and gender identity
Nicolazzo also writes about the use of alternative methodologies, epistemologies and representations of knowledge.
- Ph.D., Student Affairs in Higher Education, Miami University
- Graduate Certificate, Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
- M.S., College Student Personnel, Western Illinois University
- B.A., Philosophy, Roger Williams University