LTCY Faculty & Staff
- Ph.D., Michigan State University
- M.A., Michigan State University
- B.A., Oakland University
- Dr. Johns maintains an active schedule of writing and professional presentations throughout the world. His areas of interest include reading assessment, strategies for effective learning, and fluency.
- Johns, J.L. (2012). Basic reading inventory (11th ed.). Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt.
- Johns, J., Lenski, S., & Berglund, R. (2011). Essential comperhension strategies for the intermediate grades. Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt.
- Johns, J.L., & Pariza, J. L. (2007). Informal and formal assessment in literacy. In B.J. Guzzetti (Ed.). Literacy for the new millennium (pp. 59-75). westpoint, CT: Praeger.
- Zeigler, L.L., Johns, J.L., & Beesley, V. R. (2007). Enhancing writing through vidualization. Dubaque, IA: Kendall Hunt.
- Lenski, S.D., Wham, M.A., Johns, J.L., & Caskey, M. (2011). Reading and learning strategies: Middle grades through high school (4th ed.) . Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt.
- Elish-Piper, L., Johns, J.L., & Lenski, S.D. (2006). Teaching reading pre-k grade 3 (3rd ed.) . Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt.
- Johns J.L., & Berglund, R.L. (2010). Fluency: Differentiated interventions and progress-monitoring assessments (4th ed.). Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt.
- Johns J.L., & Berglund, R.L. (20011). Strategies for content area learning (3rd ed.). Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt.
- Johns, J.L., Lenski, S.D., & Berglund, R.L. (2006). Comprehension and vocabulary strategies for the elementary grades (2nd ed.). Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt.
- Johns, J.L., & Lenski, S.D. (2010). Improving reading: Strategies and resources (5th ed.). Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt.
- Zeigler, L.L., & Johns, J.L. (2005). Visualization: Using mental images to strengthen comprehension. Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt.
- May 8-11, 2011. Orlando, FL. Presentation at the 5th Annual Convention of the International Reading Association: Advancing Instruction in Fluency.
- April 6-8, 2011. Awes, IA. TW. Presentation at the Iowa Reading Association ESEA Title I Annual Conference: 1) Fluency: How We Went Wrong and Helpful Interventions and 20 Differentiated Fluency Interventions for Six Reader Types.
- September 2, 2010. Philadelphia, PA. Presentation and workshop focused on How to Administer and Score the Basic Reading Inventory.
- August 11-12, 2010. Tinley Park, IL. Two presentations at the Illinois Summer Reading Conference: 1) Fluency: How We Went Wrong and Helpful Interventions and 2) Why We Can’t Wait to Develop Vocabulary: Principles and Strategies for Effective Instructions.
- August 2-3, 2010. Atkinson, IL. All-day interactive workshop for the BHS Regional Office of Education #28: Linking Assessment and Interventions: Pathways to Fluency and Comprehension.
- June 16, 2010. Sugar Grove, IL. Keynote Speech at the Northern Illinois University Summer Literacy Conference: Lasting Literacy Lessons: Foundations and Interventions to Support Readers Who Struggle.
- June 4, 2010. Toluca, IL. Workshop for the LaSalle County Regional Office of Education: Pathways to Fluency and Comprehension.
- May 14, 2010. Naperville, IL. Presentation to teachers at Peterson Elementary School: Fluency Perspectives.
- April 24-28, 2010. Chicago, IL. Session at the annual conference of the International Reading Association: Fluency: How We Went Wrong and Helpful Interventions.
- * April 14, 2010. Naperville, IL. Presentation to the professional staff at Welch Elementary School: Questions about Reading and Fluency.
- March 18-19, 2010. Springfield, IL. Two presentations at the Illinois Reading Council Conference: 1) Vocabulary: Principles, Strategies, and Activities and 2) Fluency: How We Went Wrong and Helpful Interventions.
- January 23, 2010. Chicago, IL. Conducted on all-day workshop at the Reading First Academy for Teachers: Using the Basic Reading Inventory.
- October 9-11, 2008. Seattle, WA. Presentation at the International Reading Association Regional Conference: Reading Miscues: Insights and Instructional Tips.
- October 6, 2008. Winnigpeg Canada. Presentation at the Reading Council of Greater Winnipeg: Improving the Fluency of Struggling Readers: Six Reader Types.
- March 9-11, 2008. Charleston, WV. Presentation at Reading Research Symposium for Reading First: Improving the Fluency of Struggling Readers.
- October 21-23, 2007. Port Cauling, Canada. Two presentations at the Ontario Teachers Convention: Enhancing Learning in Grades 7-12 with Comprehension and Vocabulary Strategies and Expanding Fluency.
- June 13, 2007. Mineral Wells, WV. All day presentations on two topics to Wirt County Teachers: Vocabulary Development in Pre-K-Grade 4 and Learning the Basic Reading Inventory and How to Energize Instruction with Improving Reading.
- May 12-17, 2007. Toronto, Canada. Three different presentations at the annual meeting of the International Reading association: My journey as a Writer, Reading Strategies for the Primary Grades, Research on Informal Reading Inventories.
- February 15-17, 2007. Atlanta, GA. Two presentations to the Georgia Reading Association: Promoting Engagement and Learning and Fluency Understandings, Strategies and Assessments.
- February 9, 2007. Charleston, WV. All day presentation to Reading First participants: Basic Reading Inventory; Linking Assessment and Interventions.
- February 10, 2007. West Teays, WV. All day workshop to Putnam County Schoos: An Interactive Workshop on Vocabulary and Comprehension Strategies.
- January 4-7, 2007. Washington, DC. Presentation to the DC Public Schools: Vocabulary Development: Why We Can’t Wait.
- President, International Reading Association, 2002-2003
- Board Member, International Reading Association, 1992-1995
- President, College Reading Association, 1988-1989
- President, Illinois Reading Council, 1981-1982