Brenda Oriana Aranda, Ph.D.
Ph.D. - University of Texas at El Paso. Teaching, Learning, and Culture
M.S.Ed. - University of Texas at El Paso. Instructional Specialist in Bilingual Education
Curso de Literatura Infantil y Juvenil Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain
B.S. - University of Texas at El Paso. Interdisciplinary Studies, Bilingual Generalist EC-4
A.A. - El Paso Community College. Early Childhood Specialization
Areas of Research and Teaching Interests
Bilingual Education; Language and Identity; Dual Language; Ethnography; Literacy Development; Early Childhood Education; Teacher Education; Sociocultural Theory
- Soto Mas, F., Ji, M., Fuentes, B. O., & Tinajero, J. (2014). The health literacy & ESL study: A community-based intervention for Spanish speaking adults. Journal of Health Communication; doi:10.1080/10810730.2014.965368 (Forthcoming).
- Soto Mas, F., Fuentes, B.O., Mein, E., Arnal, P., & Tinajero, J. (2013). Health Literacy & ESL Curriculum. MedEdPORTAL. Available from:www.mededportal.org/publication/9420.
- Soto Mas, F., Mein, E., Fuentes, B. O., Thatcher, B., & Balcazar, H. (2013). Integrating Health Literacy & ESL: An Interdisciplinary Curriculum for Hispanic Immigrants. Health Promotion Practice, 14(2), 263-273. Winner of 2014 Sarah Mazelis Paper of the Year Award A from the Society for Public Health Education.
- Review of Americans by Heart: Undocumented Students and the Promise of Higher Education, by William Pérez. Latino Studies, June 2014.
- Fuentes, B. O. (September, 2015). Linguistic identities and pedagogy of bilingual teachers: Transnational perspectives and practices. World Education Research Association Conference. Budapest, Hungary.
- Lopez, P. D., & Fuentes, B. O. (April, 2015). Towards a race-radical vision in bilingual education policy and advocacy in Texas. American Educational Research Association (AERA) Annual Conference. Chicago, Illinois.
- Fuentes, B. O. (November, 2014). Dual language teachers: Juxtaposing linguistic identities and pedagogical practices along the U.S.-Mexico border. Scotland Educational Research Association (SERA) Annual Conference. Edinburgh, Scotland.
- Fuentes, B. O. (December, 2013). Indigenous literacy narratives of Central American teachers on the U.S.-Mexico border. Literacy Research Association (LRA) Conference. Dallas, Texas.
- Fuentes, B. O. (April, 2013). Bilingual teachers in Central America: Perspectives about language, identity, and teaching. American Educational Research Association (AERA) Annual Meeting. San Francisco, California.
- Literacy Research Association 2015
- United Teacher Education Doctoral Students 2012-present
- American Educational Research Association 2011-present
- Bilingual Educators Emphasizing and Mastering Standards 2008-2009
- Cambridge Who’s Who 2008-2009
- Association of Texas Professional Educators 2005-2009
- Bilingual Education Student Organization 2004-2005
Graham Hall 119B
Department of Curriculum and Instruction
Gabel Hall 147